-->

Thursday, December 6, 2018

Newport RI at Christmastime

So on Saturday morning, we were up and ready to get our holiday on....we got all decked out and packed up the car and headed to my parents.  We loaded their things in and then headed down to Newport, RI.  This was my mom's request after talking to my friend's mom about what a wonderful thing it is to do at Christmastime- seeing the Newport Mansions all decorated!

All decked out and ready to hit the road.....






Once we were in Newport, we hit our first destination, "Rough Point" and the "Rough Point Mansion" ...former home of Doris Duke....it was fun to walk through and learn the history of the mansion and we did get to enjoy some Christmas decorations too.....
 












I loved all of the original (and retro) touches they left around like this wrapping paper...
 






We also participated in the fun little scavenger hunt they had going...our mission was to find pineapples in every room and so we did!
 







The home had water damage from a recent storm so they are in the process of restoring some of the areas...(hence the sheets covering some furniture)
 



and outside on the grounds...
 















After this, we were starving so we drove downtown and grabbed a lovely lunch at La Forge.  Check them out HERE

My Dad and I shared some oysters of course and then I LOVED my beat salad- delish!





and....we had a special visitor and Eva was ECSTATIC :)




After lunch, we checked into our hotel, The Mainstay and rested for a bit.

That night, we hit our main event and toured The Breakers Mansion...in one word?  EXQUISITE!

There were beautiful tress in every room including the famous poinsettia tree in the foyer and they also offered cider and cookies and even REAL eggnog for the adults (being spiked!)  My Dad was psyched :)

Our favorite part however, in addition to the beautiful and ornate decorations was the live orchestra playing...they even played some songs from the Nutcracker and Diana was in awe!

































After The Breakers, we had an awesome little dinner at The Fifth Element.  Check them out HERE 

Again...no pictures...I am slipping friends...or doing a better job of living in the moment ;)


After that we headed back to the hotel and crashed.


The next morning, we made one final stop for breakfast at the Hotel Viking.  Check them out HERE 

It was a great time to wrap up our wonderful little trip! Christmas Memories to last a lifetime!






3 comments:

Jaclyn Coffee, Pancakes & Dreams said...

What a special weekend with your parents. I love touring big old homes.

Rechelle said...

I just LOVE this!!! It all looks so beautiful and how fun to search for those pineapples too ;)

Good Better Best Food said...

I so love Newport! The Breakers is amazing but I have not been to the Doris Duke one--I think she was still alive when I was little so we never went to that one. Thank you for sharing this beauty Holly. Happy weekend girl.

Patty
GoodBetterBestFood.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...