-->

Tuesday, October 11, 2022

NAJM: How I Host Edition

 




Hi Friends!  Today I am joining the lovely ladies over at NAJM for their fun linkup.  This month we are talking "How I Host." If you have been following along for awhile then you know this is one of my favorite past times!

 

Linking up HERE and sharing "How I Host"

 

 

I LOVE Lists

I start with a guest list

Then I make a grocery list

and sometimes I write out a menu for myself so I don't forget to make a specific dish.

 

This was our 2020 Thanksgiving Menu
 
 
Appetizers and Cocktails
 
Mimi's Stuffed Mushrooms
 
Pumpkin Hard Cider Dip with Wheat Crackers and French Bread.  Find it HERE


 
Cambria Pinot Noir, Caramel Apple Martinis, Hot Buttered Rum and Sparkling Cider for the Kiddos
 
 
 
Main Dinner
 
Roasted Turkey ( I baste our turkey with a mixture I simmer on the stove- 1 stick of butter, 1 cup of orange juice and 1 cup of honey- makes it so so moist and delish!)

Mashed Potato Bread Stuffing Find it HERE
 

 
Cranberry Nut Stuffing
French Pork Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Green Beans with Bacon and Shallots Find it HERE
 

 
Squash Souffle
Sweet Potato and Marshmallow Casserole
Corn Casserole
Peas
Onions with Cream Sauce
Dinner Rolls 
 
 
Dessert
 
Apple Pie
Blueberry Pie
Cranberry Pie
Apple Sauce Jumbles (Recipe coming tomorrow for my blogging friends who requested it!)
Hot Buttered Rum 
 

 

 

 

I then decide on a format.  Sometimes the event/gathering is larger and warrants a buffet style setup.  Other times, it is a smaller gathering and a sit down affair is on tap.  When it is a sit down, I will sometimes make name tags because I get crazy like that ;)

 


 




 

I love themes.  Sometimes I will have a theme- I used to have themes for the kids' bday parties but as they get older, I am not as intense with the themes as I used to be

 

(Diana- Age 5- Under The Sea Themed Party)


 

 

I watch the weather and plan accordingly.  In the spring and summer if weather cooperates, then I will host our event outside by the pool/on the deck/inside our screen porch.  



 

 

In the Fall and Winter months, you will find most of my gathering indoors where we can stay warm and enjoy the decor of the season.

 

 



 


Lastly, what I found over the years, is if I can prepare dishes in advance then I will.  I will typically make one dish per night after work.  That way, the day of the event/holiday, I am not overwhelmed and not under pressure to make a million things.  It has helped keep stress in check and ensure that we have enough food!

 

 

Love reading your tips-great topic ladies!








6 comments:

Maria Rineer said...

You could write a book on hosting ;). Your menus always sounds creative and amazing. Lots of inspo over the years from you!!

Joanne said...

I usually make up a menu list too because 2 years in a row I somehow managed to forget to set out the cranberry sauce! I often forget to put out something I planned when I get busy having fun with the party but I figure if no one asks about it then no one really missed it! LOL. You sounds like a wonderful host.

Jennifer White said...

So many awesome tips. I love the idea of name tags at place settings for a sit down dinner. I always make a list too and try to do what I can in the days leading up to hosting. Thanks for joining us :)

Adrienne Patenaude said...

the link for the pumpkin dip didn't work and it sounded so good

Holly said...

@Adrienne Thanks for letting me know! Should be fixed now :)

Sunshine and Books said...

Oh Holly! You look like such a great post! Great food, great drinks, and great friends/family having fun!
I love those matching Lillys poolside!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...