-->

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Tuesday Talk: Fave Things To Do in New England Edition



I decided to join in on Ashley and Erika's Linkup again.  I have missed the last few and wanted to "talk!"  Linking up with the lovely ladies HERE

On the third Tuesday of the month, we can linkup and talk about anything we want to!

In January, I talked about Things That Drive Me Crazy HERE
 
In February, I talked President's Day Sales HERE

In April, I talked about the planning of our trip to Niagara Falls HERE

In May, I talked about my Favorite Summer Accessories HERE
 
In July, I talked about my Favorite Bloggers HERE 


and now in October, I am talking....

 My Favorite Things To  Do Here In New England!

I am going to break these down per season....here it goes....

 Ahh.....my favorite time of year and as I always say, there is no better place to be in the summer than in New England.  We have the best beaches in the country!  My favorites include Wallis Sands in Rye, NH, Hampton Beach in Hampton NH and Wingaersheek Beach in Gloucester MA.

In the summer, it is also fun to walk around the little beach towns.  They boast the most quaint shops, cobblestone streets and good old fashion goodness like homemade ice cream and penny candy!  Some of the best little beach towns to browse around in are Kennebunkport, ME, Rockport, MA and Newburyport MA.


If you ever wanted to try Stand Up Paddle Boarding or even Surfing, then Cinnamon Rainbow Co in North Hampton NH is the place to go!


My favorite holiday weekend all year is 4th of July  Weekend and you will always find us in a beach town at some point.  One of the best things to do is to watch fireworks from the beach or from your car right near the water too!






and you probably guessed it...I am going in order of my favorite seasons...Summer first and always and then Spring.

I love Spring...Winter is finally gone and it always creates so much hope and excitement every year!  As soon as Spring hits, it means time to get outside again.  We plant our garden and clean up the yard.  We plant flowers in our planters and we start cooking on the grill again.

We have so many fun things to do in our little town here of Windham, NH.  There is the Annual Strawberry Festival.  We also have Griffin Park which is such a great place to take a walk or let the kids run around and even play on the playground.  There is also tennis courts, baseball and softball fields and soccer fields here.  

Memorial Day Weekend is my favorite part of Spring though.  It is the official start of summer, maybe that is why, but it is usually when we make our first trip to a beach town for the season.

This past year, we went to Newburyport with the Fourniers.  It is one of the best beach towns we have, as I said above, and during Memorial Day Weekend they have a huge Yankee Homecoming Festival with live music, food vendors and all types of tents set up  with homemade art, jewelry and other goodies.  It is so much fun to walk around.  


We always catch our local Memorial Day Parade too.  Since Daddy has been on the school board, it is extra fun for us to go and watch as he will march in the parade :)


 and Memorial Day Weekend is usually the time when we get our first order of "steamahs".  Steamers, or steamed clams are a specialty of the area and they are SO GOOD with melted butter.  Cass and I got our first ones Memorial Day Weekend this year- YUM!


The best place to order steamers in New England is Brown's Seafood in Seabrook NH.  They had a large fire this past season so they shut down early but they are working on rebuilding and having things ready to go again soon.  New England boasts great steamers but there is nothing like sitting at Browns, right next to the water and sharing steamers with your people!




Ahhhh Pumpkin EVERYTHING.....Here in New England we are known for our beautiful fall.  Every year, people come from all over to "leaf peep."  The best places to do so are in Vermont and NH.  North Conway NH actually has some great hiking trails and the best foliage.  There are so many great hotels to choose from and great restaurants as well.  There is also plenty to do with the kids.



I am also a sucker for all of the Halloween Fun.  My all time favorite fall event is the Jack-O-Lantern Spectacular at Roger Williams Park Zoo in Providence RI.  You will never see more pumpkins carved and they are just beautiful.  You walk through trails and trails of these magical squashes with background music and different themes in every section- it is by far the BEST family event of the season.




We have also enjoyed other fun local events like the Milford NH Pumpkin Festival, Screemfest at Canobie Lake Park in Salem, NH, Lanterns in the Village in Salem MA and this year, we are heading to Harvest Haunts at Charmingfare Farm in Candia, NH.


Lastly, you always have to squeeze in Apple Picking during the Fall.  My favorite orchards include Doe in Harvard, MA and Mac's in Londonderry, NH.  Next year, however, when our fall is a bit more quiet, we plan on heading up to Applecrest Farm in Hampton NH where Apple Picking is a true adventure- they have hayrides, cider donuts and live music- what fun!



and then there is winter....I almost dread typing that word.  What I say every year is that I am ok with winter and snow through New Year's Day and then I would just like it to be done here.  Well....our winters really only are starting at that point.  We get our largest snowstorms, typically, in February and March.  What I will share with you today is the winter fun I suggest through New Year's Day.  After that, it is time to hunker down for a few months.  I wish we were skiers but we are not.  We may try tubing or something else outdoors this winter. We may even go back to the Attitash Grand with the Grahams for one of their fun Winter Weekends but for now...here is what I have for you.....

For Christmastime fun, we have our own traditions around our hometown like Jammy Christmas, tons of Hallmark Romance Christmas movies and all of the traditional dishes to make during the season.  Out and about, around New England, we also have some faves like....


The Methuen Festival of Trees- Methuen, MA


The Stone Zoo Christmas Lights- Stoneham, MA


and The Atkinson Tree Lighting- Atkinson Country Club, NH

The best Christmastime take, however, is the Nutcracker.  The Boston Ballet Nutcracker is simply the best (and I am not writing this just because I was in it)...it is truly rated the #1 performance in the U.S time and again.  More local, we now love going to NEDE's production as Diana is dancing in it!

So there ya have it....some of our favorite things in every season here in New England!

2 comments:

Good Better Best Food said...

This post gives me all of the New England Feels!

Patty
GoodBetterBestFood.blogspot.com

Holly Osborn said...

I have never been to that part of the country but it’s on my bucket list!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...