I wanted to officially share this announcement on my blog...it has been an exciting few weeks in these parts...
On August 27, 2026, Merrimack Athletics officially announced that Merrimack College Cheerleading is being elevated from a club sport to a VARSITY sport beginning THIS academic year, 2026–27.
So this isn't something they're considering for the future. It is happening now.
What Merrimack announced
Athletic Director Joe Foley said the change reflects Merrimack's desire to give cheerleaders greater resources, opportunities, recognition and support as part of the athletic department. He specifically noted how important the cheerleaders have become as ambassadors for Merrimack and to the game-day experience.
The team will continue its major roles:
- Cheering Warrior football at Duane Stadium
- Cheering men's and women's basketball at Lawler Arena
- Traveling to the Metro Basketball Championships in Atlantic City
- Competing at NCA College Nationals in Daytona Beach
And Merrimack isn't elevating a program that is just getting started competitively. The cheer team was the 2025 NCA Division I Runner-Up and also reached the finals in NCA D1 Intermediate and Game Day.
Diana is absolutely pumped and we are so excited for her!
This is a pic of when she face-timed us to tell us...we had to stay quiet until the college made the official announcement- we were all thrilled and she was quite emotional...glad we could share it together!
I also wanted to say that Blogger was having issues late last week and although I read all of my favorite blogs, I wasn't allowed to comment...maybe it's just me but let me know if you had trouble too...just know I will comment when I am allowed to! :)
Ok...back to our weekend...
Friday Night
Lea got me this shirt- reppin' my 52! Go Brooks!
It was time for the first WHS Football Game of the season. Brook's Fan Club was in the house. We enjoyed pre-gaming at the Cavern Pub and then went to the game down the road in Pembroke. The JAGS pulled off a win 31-28. It was a "nail bitah" as we say in New England-so so fun!
Saturday
We were up bright and early and I headed down to Merrimack to pick up Diana and her friend from home. We brought her friend home and then headed to our Starbucks for coffee and catch up. She then wanted to come by the house to see the fam AND Remi :) Eva was so excited as was Remi...she said...ahhh it feels so good to walk around where there is "space!" Too funny :)
Papa took the girls out for dinner while Rob and I headed out to dinner with Cass and Steve- another great night!
Monday
Labor Day! Our little fam headed up to the beach- my happy place! It was only the 2nd time I got there all summer but it was the perfect day- the weather was beautiful- the waves were huge and the sun felt incredible!
On our way home, we stopped at Markey's for our first "steamahs" of the season...it was such the perfect day!
We dropped Diana off and said seeyah soon! When we got home, Rob headed out to do the grocery shopping for me...Pidge chatted with friends and I watched some tv until it was time for bed. It was a wonderful long weekend! What were you all up to?





































22 comments:
Omg! What a nice weekend! HBD! The beach looks amazing! Congrats to Diana's school and yes, cheerleading is a sport! It's so hard! It's a sport!
Sounds like a perfect long weekend. Happy birthday! So glad you had a fun family celebration and time with your college girl too. It's exciting they've been bumped up a level. A beach day sounds so nice right about now. Have a great week!
Oh wow! That is exciting news about the cheerleading!
Yep, I think everyone of Blogger had the same issues with commenting. For a few minutes I did think it was just me, I am so glad it wasn't!
The football game sounds like a lot of fun and how nice to have some time with Diana! What a lovely evening celebrating yours and your brother's birthday and a great day at the beach! Fab photos!
Thank you Amy- yes! I agree :)
It really was Joyce- thank you :)
Thank you Kim- it was a great way to wrap up the summer!
That sounds like such a perfect weekend! Diana must be over the moon with the cheerleading announcement. How exciting! I don't think Evan has plans to step foot inside this house again until perhaps Thanksgiving break. He's having far too much fun on campus, I guess (and by does that make me happy!). I was so glad he agreed to go hiking with us yesterday since I hadn't really talked to him much at all. I told him I'd call and check in every Friday but so far those Friday call haven't lasted more than 4 minutes.
I guess that is a great sign Joanne-he sounds like he is happy- tough to make the break but proud at the same time I am sure :)
It sounds like you had such a nice weekend. It was great to see you Diana and I hope you had a happy birthday!!
What an exciting announcement for the cheerleaders at MC! it deserves to be a varsity sport! What fun. Can someone say NIL, lol? I think blogger was all messed up Friday- I couldn't comment on anyone's blog and got no comments on Friday. Your weekend sounds so perfect- the beach, friends, family, birthday celebrations- HBD by the way! Gosh, it couldn't have gotten much better!!
Such great news! Isn't it the best to have a student involved in something on campus that you can go watch? For mine, it's band. But having those dates you can cheer them on on the calendar certainly ease a mama's heart!
Oh yay for another beach day! And with both your girls too! It sounds like it was a great weekend!
Such exciting news for cheerleading.
Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. Happy birthday!!!
Thank you Julie!
Thank you Maria- I am so excited for the girls! Blogger was a mess- ha!!
Yes Laura! We always love seeing and hearing the bands too!
It was Natasha- thank you!
Thank you so much Adrienne!
So fun that you had a family beach day and so nice that Diana lives super close to home. That makes the transition a little easier. I hope she is enjoying it so far! Enjoy the rest of your week!
The distance has definitely helped Marilyn- yes! :)
What a wonderful weekend! I'm so glad that you still get to hang out with Diana some! I remember being a college kid and just LIVING for the chance to go to a real house and eat a real dinner!
Aww thank you Suzanne- I know right!?
Post a Comment