-->

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Tuesday Talk: Favorite Holiday Traditions Edition




It's time for Tuesday Talk with Erika and Ashley.  Linking up HERE

This is when we get to talk about anything we want to...oh so many choices!

I decided, given the time of year, and how happy and in the spirit the Hallmark movies have made me, I would talk about my favorite holiday traditions with you today.....so here goes nothing.....

 "Friendsgiving"

This is a tradition my friend Coleen started last year.  She invites the kids over for a fun and festive breakfast on Thanksgiving Eve Morning and she makes mimosas for the moms. We had a ball!


Thanksgiving Eve

We only started the tradition last year but again, we knew it was a keeper.  We invite family and friends for a low key night of apps, cocktails and live music courtesy of Rob and some band mates.  We include the kids and everyone just decompresses for a few hours before the busy holiday weekend.  It was so much fun and I can't wait for this night again this year!



Turkey Trot and Family Time on Thanksgiving Day 

Since Diana was born, Rob and I have done our town's Turkey Trot all but one year (when we were celebrating Thanksgiving at the beach)  The kids have come with us most of the time as well and as our family grows, our walking pack grows too.

It is a great way to kick off our metabolism on the most caloric day of the year ;)...while also being part of a fun town tradition, betting fresh air and spending QT together!

After the trot, the big kids head to their mom's and we settle down for an intimate and elegant dinner with the little ones and our parents...pure bliss


Black Friday


This tradition my bestie Cass and I started a  few years ago and it is so so special.  It is QT...just the two of us...it is Black Friday shopping...anyone who knows me knows I prefer to shop on line for the most part...I don't like crowds...I hate browsing in malls...but there is something different about Black Friday.  First of all we head out at 6 in the morning...I love when it is still dark and the crowds haven't filled in yet.  We get a warm drink at Starbucks and then hit Old Navy and then we make several stops until it is time for lunch and such.  So much fun :)

The Nutcracker

When I was little, I was actually fortunate enough to try out and get cast in the Boston Ballet's Nutcracker for four years so you can imagine, that became a Christmas tradition.  Now years later, it has come back into our lives again through Diana's dancing.

Last year was her first year to get cast in NEDE's production as a Polichinelle and we enjoyed going to see her Thanksgiving Weekend.  This year she will be a Party Child and she was cast in the Sunday show so we are going then :) 

It is such a magical story and the music has become my Christmastime fave as well.....

Decorating

I have to admit, I start putting up some Christmas decorations in November and Thanksgiving Weekend, after I have fed the family, the Christmas trees go up...I want to enjoy the coziness of the decorations as long as possible! This year we decorated even earlier due to our impending trip to Orlando for the Cheer Nationals.


Festival of Trees

This is Mimi's favorite event every year.  Different organizations donate and decorate Christmas trees- they each have a different theme.  We go every year to look at the trees.  We try to win them but we haven't lucked out yet.  We have been going for the last 10 years or so and can't wait to go again this year with both girls :)


Atkinson Tree Lighting

Another tradition that started last year.  I guess last year was a great year for tradition :)
Jill invited us to do a girls' night at the Atkinson Country Club for their Annual Tree Lighting.  We packed all the little girls into her truck and off we went.  It was so hokie and oh so fun....there were crafts and snacks and all sorts of fun...we will not be able to attend this year as we will be in Florida but we agreed that Mickey's Christmas Parade will be a fair trade off ;)


My Annual Holiday Recipe Exchange


I got the idea from Shay.  She always shared her party every year on her blog and then sent out instructions so I thought, I need to give this a shot.  The first year we went with the appetizer theme and last year we went with the breakfast theme and everyone wore their pj's.  This year we are going back to the appetizer theme and I cannot wait...should be super fun again!

Stone Zoo Lights

The Stone Zoo in my parents' town is a fun zoo to visit in the summer with the kids.  Also, Thanksgiving weekend, they open for their Christmas light display.  We have so much fun walking around, looking at all of the lights, grabbing a snack and then the girls get to visit with Santa and have their picture taken :)


Portsmouth Candlelight Stroll

Another new tradition started last year by The Batsons and us.  We went and we loved it.  It happens in the my favorite town in the world- Portsmouth.   It is specifically in the historic village of Strawberry Bank and the various historic homes light up and decorate with different themes. We went into one home last year that had a live band...so much fun.  We watched the figure skaters in the common and went into the fun little gift shop but our favorite part was the horse drawn carriage ride...so festive!


Visiting Our Loved Ones


Every year, Rob and I visit the cemeteries to pay respects to our grandparents and family members who have gone before us.  I love this season also for the way it makes us visit family and friends we may not see throughout the year.  Last year, we visited with my cousins who we never see and agreed to make it an annual tradition :)


Hallmark Romance Christmas Movies


Enough said ;)


Elf on the Shelf

Again, speaks for itself :)



Making Treats for Our Friends, Family, Teachers, Coaches and Bus Drivers

It warms my heart and I love letting the girls "help" me ;)

Jammie Christmas

I can thank Shay for another favorite Christmas tradition.  Each year, for the past few years, we have participated in our own Jammie Christmas.  1. We drive to Starbucks...go in, in our PJ's and get coffee and cocoas and a treat and then....2. We drive around looking at Christmas Lights 3. We listen to Christmas Music and most importantly....4. We have FUN :)

Christmas Card Pics

We love taking our family picture every year and we have been doing this since before we were married!  Our first Family Christmas Card was in 2003. I remember it like it was yesterday.  We posed in our cream sweaters and jeans on the front lawn of our old home.  It was so much fun.  The next year, we used our family wedding picture for our Christmas Card.  Each year, we pick a different theme and they get better and better.  Last year we used our family picture from Diana's Holy Communion.  Aaron later took pics of the kids for us and this one, by far, is my favorite :)


We also LOVE LOVE receiving cards during the season.  I love seeing all of my friends and their beautiful families...warms my heart

The Feast of The Seven Fishes

So I am Catholic...and I am Italian and we love our fish.  Our favorite, however, is  Christmas Eve when we partake in the old tradition of The Feast of The Seven Fishes.   Every year, on Christmas Eve, we head to mass and do some visiting and then we head to Auntie Peggy's (my Dad's sister) and we catch up with my Dad's side of the family and feast on so...much...fish...there is nothing better!

The Magic of Christmas Eve 

Needs No Caption.....


Mimi's Christmas Cookies

For as long as I can remember, my mom has always made such a variety of Christmas Cookies- one is better than the next...every year she always gifts us with cookies so we can share them and enjoy in this tradition....no one does Christmas like she does


So...it is really easy to get stressed this time of year...however...I truly try to enjoy every moment and focus on making the best memories for my family and carrying on as many traditions as possible.....

3 comments:

Jaclyn @coffeepancakesanddreams said...

Those oreo cookies look amazing...will you be sharing the recipe?! You have so many fun traditions with friends and family!

A Gal Named Al said...

Love all of these! I want to bake Italian cookies with your mom! Hope you guys have a wonderful holiday!

Logan G said...

Omg girl... I want to come be apart of your world, physically! I love all these traditions! I've been thinking of doing jammie Christmas like Shay and recruiting a few friends of ours so Logan will dress in pajamas! Ha! I wish we had a festival of trees and all those zoo lights?! So jealous!! Can't wait to see it all while you go through it :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...