-->

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Holy Week 2018




This is my favorite week in church all year.  I guess it started in high school.  My Dad and I belonged to the folk group at St. Robert's Church in Andover.  It was our activity together and it proved to be one of the most special times of my life.


I learned the true meaning of Holy Week and as a result, I learned to cherish it.  Our group would sing for four days straight during the masses and/or services on Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday.


Each lent, I would give up something so I would feel what it was like to sacrifice.  Then last year and this year, I decided instead of giving up sweets or chocolate or something that was going to benefit ME, I decided to serve others and do one good deed per week.  Now when my stepson (who always rocks lent) asked me about the things I do for my family, I told him, and I mean it, the things I do for my family and friends are added bonuses.


This year, I feel even better about my lenten season.  I feel good about the deeds I completed and yesterday I had the opportunity to go to confession with my best friend.  We always say that her brother brought us together and one of the things that tightly bound us to begin with was our shared faith.  Pay no attention to the fact that we couldn't stop chatting in the pew before heading in to see Father Brian- ha ha!!  Yesterday was a day that I felt grateful again.  


During Holy Week, I always feel closer to God.  This year, I feel even closer.  Weekly mass, daily passages, deeds....just absorbing him all around me....and I am grateful.

This year, my family is joining  me for the Live Stations of the Cross on Good Friday evening.  I cannot wait- I really enjoyed the ceremony last year.   It is near our church and outside and so realistic.  It helps me remember everything he went through for us.   On Holy Saturday, we will be doing our Annual baking and egg coloring with Mimi and then hosting our 2nd Annual Neighborhood Easter Egg Hunt and on Easter Sunday, we are heading to mass...our entire extended family will be there and then I am making dinner for everyone and will enjoy our quality time.
 
Do you do anything special during Holy Week each year?  How do you remember?  Do you have any special traditions?  Today I felt the need to write about this and I hope you didn't mind.  Thank you for stopping by!

 

2 comments:

Rechelle said...

Thank you for sharing your heart during Holy Week! I have fond memories as a young girl attending mass with my grandparents during the week, as I've aged I've drifted away a little on the preciousness of Easter. You helped reignite a little spark within me, thanks Holly!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you...I love Holy Week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...