-->

Thursday, June 8, 2017

Baked Chicken Tacos with Pineapple Salsa


We usually aim for "Taco Tuesday." We used to just make tacos using the recipe on the box.  That gets old like everything else.  I started getting more inspired and more creative when Pinterest came into play.  Then I started blogging more and more and found that my blogging friends shared even better recipes.  Linking up with Al for her "Try It Thursday" Series HERE


We have had some winners from your suggestions and recipe pages for sure!

This week, we changed things up a bit and did Tacos on Monday night.

I actually created the recipe from scratch and it was a WIN all around.

I wanted to make something healthy enough for the adults and yet basic enough for the kids- which as many of you know can be a super challenge.

There is also something about baking tacos that makes them that much better- am I right?

So....I substituted some healthy ingredients in and made this a low fat, high protein and high fiber meal and it was wiped out!  I knew it was a winner and I knew I HAD to share it with you!


Here you go!

Ingredients

For the Tacos:
1 roasted chicken, shredded and stripped of all bones and skin
1 cup of nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup of jalapenos chopped (You can use fresh or jarred)
1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1 handful of cilantro, chopped
 The juice of 1/2 lime
1 teaspoon of cumin
Hard and Soft Taco Shells
Salt and Pepper to Taste

For the Salsa:
1 cup of fresh pineapple, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1 handful of cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
The juice of 1/2 lime 
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Shred your chicken
Toss in bowl and add the yogurt, jalapenos, cheese, cilantro and cumin.  
Squeeze in the lime juice from 1/2 of the lime and stir
Season with salt and pepper to your liking
Stuff the taco shells with the filling
Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes

While the tacos are baking, make your salsa
Toss all ingredients in a bowl- squeeze the lime juice over it all and season.

You can serve the tacos plain or top them with this yummy fruit salsa.  I had mine with the salsa of course.  Everyone else opted for the tacos plain.  I didn't care because they got eaten- For The Win!

I served them with a side of brown rice.  
It was super healthy and oh so delicious!
 Eva definitely approved ;)

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh WOW! These look so delicious! I'll definitely have to try this recipe suggestion. Thanks for sharing!

Tara Usher @ Mommy in a Nutshell said...

OK, so I made tacos last night too and they looked nothing like this! These look amazing! Now I'm ashamed of my sad little tacos.

A Gal Named Al said...

Yum! I've been trying to be more "islandy" in my cooking lately- Robert would love this! Thanks for linking up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...