-->

Thursday, May 14, 2020

Strawberry Lemon Muffins and a look at Strawberry Festivals Past








So....when I think STRAWBERRY...I think Spring...I think Summer and I often think of our Annual Windham Strawberry Festival.  For the first time in many years, the festival has been cancelled this year.


I have been going every year since I moved to town...2003 was the first year I attended AND I missed it last year as we were in Nashville BUT my girls got to enjoy it with Ally and Papa and Diana even danced with her fellow Lorax cast members.

I was excited to get back this year but God had other plans.  It really is such a hokie and fun festival where the kids get to see different friends from town...jump on bouncy structures...play games...get prizes and eat fun food like hot dogs and chips...and the Strawberry Shortcake...oh the Strawberry Shortcake...it's authentic...old school and just delish!

In recent years, with Rob being on the school board, he has been volunteering by manning the grills and really enjoys that too.  (He may have been suckered into going into the dunk tank a time or two as well- ha!)

Let's take a look down memory lane shall we?  (Just humor me- it's bringing me some joy)

Here are some shots from over the years....




























Anyway, this is one event that I hate to miss and will miss dearly this year but hope to see it return next year as it is one of the most special traditions in our town.  So...back to strawberries...and lemon too!  I made some Strawberry Lemon Bread last weekend for my friend Jill and our beloved Mrs. Mullen...after that I was determined to try making muffins and I actually liked the way those came out better so brought some to my friends Janie and Jess....they didn't fall apart the way the bread did and they were a perfect little spring treat!  Thought I would share the recipe with YOU!







Ingredients


2 cups (250g) plain/all-purpose flour
3/4 cup (150g) caster/granulated sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup (60ml) vegetable oil
1 cup (240g) Greek-style yogurt
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 and 1/4 cups (250g) fresh strawberries, chopped

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350F
Line a 12-hole muffin pan with muffin cases, then set aside.
Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
Whisk together the egg, vanilla, vegetable oil, yogurt, lemon juice and zest. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined. Gently fold in the strawberries.
Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cases, filling them almost to the top, and bake for 18 - 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean with a few moist crumbs.

Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.

Enjoy the tastes of Spring and Summer!






2 comments:

My Glittery Heart said...

Those sound really yummy!

Joanne said...

Those sound yummy! Sorry to hear it was canceled. We've had all our local fairs and get togethers canceled too (even the Woodstock Fair which is HUGE for our area and has been held every Labor day weekend since 1859!).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...