-->

Friday, September 17, 2010

Why I Love Being a Recruiter


You already assumed I loved it right? I mean who stays in the same profession for over 15 years if they don't LOVE it. There is no sarcasm following this sentence- just a confirmation. I LOVE being a recruiter.

YES it is very hard work. I think this last and still current recession has more than proven that. Some days, I make 100 calls and only get 5 people willing to talk to me. You must have thick skin...love people...and get a satisfaction from making solid matches in an aggressive yet ethical way.

Being a recruiter turned out to be the right profession for me. I experienced quick success and then the downturns. 2001 and 2002 seem like a blip on the radar compared to the last two years. Nevertheless, I get such a high from not only my own success but the success of those around me.

Now being a mom, and working from home two days/week, I have to be self-motivated more than ever. Of course, you get some men in my office, cracking jokes and insisting my days at home are a walk in the park (if they only knew). But as a woman, I must press on. Women have been facing these challenges for a lifetime and always will.

So where am I going with all of this? Not sure. I guess I wanted to give you a glimpse into my world, where I actually spend most of my time. I have been asked a lot lately what I do and what this world is all about. I place HR professionals in the greater Boston area. (I work for the best person that ever existed in our business...a brilliant man...no one will ever compare..he was the best in our business and always will be. I am a lucky girl.)

I run what we call a full service desk by not only recruiting candidates but developing relationships with client companies and driving business over the phone and through face to face meetings. It is exciting work. It is hard yes. As some have said, though, "if it were easy, more people would be doing it."

People that don't have to produce at work or meet numbers have no clue what this pressure is like and think they have it hard. Sales in general is hard but trying to control human behavior is virtually impossible.

I will always highly recommend going into our business. Companies will always need to hire people, even if they can only commit to temporary help. The need will be there. It is up to us, to build those relationships and secure that business. It becomes more difficult during times like these but it also makes the business that much more rewarding when you are able to land it.

Please email me at any time if you have any questions and are thinking about this profession. It has been a wonderful one for my family and me.

hbinda@yahoo.com

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...