-->

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Mashed Potato Bread Stuffing

What You Will Need:

1 box of instant mashed potatoes
1 loaf of stuffing bread
1 stick of butter
1 yellow onion (chopped)
Bell Seasoning
Salt and Pepper to Taste

(I always double this recipe for a large crowd- especially at Thanksgiving)



So if you are from New England, then you know Bell Seasoning
I just learned recently that Bell Seasoning may not be as popular or commonly known as it is up here.  Regardless, it is the staple of so many of our fall dishes.  

This stuffing recipe has been a tradition in my family since as long as I can remember

It is a nice twist and alternative to traditional bread stuffing.

On Thanksgiving, we always have three different stuffings: one traditional bread stuffing (sometimes with fruit and/or nuts in it, the French pork stuffing (courtesy of my in laws) and this Mashed Potato Bread Stuffing.  I can thank my mom for introducing this delectable dish to our family so many years ago.  It smells and tastes like Thanksgiving to me.  My mouth waters when I think about taking that first bite.  It is creamy and hardy and oh so buttery with that subtle sweetness of onion- delish!

Give it a shot this year!  You just might need to make it every year too!

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a large pot, follow the directions on the box to make your instant mashed potatoes.  Once done, set aside

In a frying pan, melt your stick of butter

Add the chopped onion and saute until translucent  

Add a sprinkle of bell seasoning, salt and pepper to taste

Add the butter mixture to your mashed potatoes

Take your loaf of stuffing bread and with your fingers, poke holes in it
Then run the loaf under the faucet until it is soaked

Squeeze it out

Break up the wet loaf into bite size pieces and add to your potato mixture 

Put entire mixture into a buttered casserole dish
Bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown and crusty on the top

To Die For....
 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just started following you and am excited to see some interesting recipes. Can you tell me what you mean by stuffing bread? Is that a loaf of white, sliced, sandwich bread or something else? Also, do you serve this with mashed potatoes or is that redundant with the potatoes in it? Sorry for all of the questions but I’ve never seen anything like it before and while it sounds strange with instant mashed potatoes which I never use and the soaking of the bread step, I can’t wait to try it. Thanks for your help.

marla said...

Hi Holly! I know this is an unusual time of year to be asking but I have some questions I hope you can answer for me about this recipe . What is stuffing bread? What size instant mashed potatoes do you use? How much of the seasoning mix do you use? Thank you so much in advance for your help. Sending prayers for you to stay safe and healthy.

Jennifer said...

Very interesting...sounds good & I'm going to make mine gluten free.

Joanne said...

I always think this looks so delicious! I know my family would mutiny if I tried this in place of our tradition stuffing and mashed potatoes but I'm thinking it's definitely a recipe we need to try... maybe for Christmas?! Thanks for sharing with us at Encouraging Hearts and Home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...