Mom's Christmas Stolen
Our traditional Christmas breakfast consists of this doughy...fruity bread on which we spread jam or butter. My mom works so hard to make this delicacy every year...I remember eating it for as long as I can remember! Enjoy my friends :)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 5 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ounce active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup candied citrus peel
- 1/2 cup candied cherries
- Scald milk. Add sugar, butter, and salt, and cool to lukewarm. Add 2 whole eggs, and 2 yolks. Mix.
- Add to 3 cups flour and yeast in food processor. Process and let rise until double.
- Add cardamom, raisins, citron, and cherries, and rest of flour. Process and put on floured board and knead. Let rise in greased bowl.
- When risen, cut into 3-4 pieces. Roll each into an oval, butter, and fold in half lengthwise. Put on greased baking sheet, cover, and let rise until double.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 25 minutes.
- Remove to rack. When cool, frost with white butter frosting and decorate with candied cherry halves and sprinkle with colored sugar.