Holly's Health Chicken Pot Pie
*I substituted phylo dough for the crust- lighter, flakier, tastier and half the calories!
· 1 Tablespoon olive oil
· 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
· 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
· 2 stalks of celery, diced
· 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
· 2 cups fresh or frozen green beans, cut to about 1/2"
· 1 cup low sodium, fat free chicken broth
· 3/4 cup reduced fat milk (We used 1%)
· 1/2 cup all purpose flour
· 1 Tablespoon Dried Parsley
· 1/2 teaspoon Poultry Seasoning
· 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
· 1/4 cup fat free sour cream
· 1 1/2 LB boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cooked and cut into bite sized pieces.
· 1 box of refrigerated pie crusts, make sure they are not frozen and the crusts are soft enough to be unrolled.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil to medium high heat, add sweet potato, carrots, celery and onions. Saute 1-2 minutes until vegetables start to soften.
- Add 3 Tablespoons flour, Poultry Seasoning, Black Pepper and 1 1/4 cups of the milk. Whisk to combine and reduce heat to medium.
- Add green beans. Continue to cook about 5 minutes until slightly thickened.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together chicken broth, 3/4 cup milk, 1/2 cup flour, Poultry Seasoning, Black Pepper and Parsley. Make sure the flour is completely incorporated and there are no lumps.
- Add chicken, sour cream and chicken broth mixture to the vegetables, stir to combine and increase heat to medium high. Once mixture begins to boil, reduce heat to medium and cook about 10 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and creamy.
- Pour mixture into a 2 quart round casserole. Unroll the pie crust and carefully place over the hot filling. Seal the edges and crimp or flute if desired.
- With a fork, pierce the top of the crust 4 or 5 times.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the pie crust is golden brown and the mixture is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let stand about 10 minutes before serving.