Holly's Seafood Chowder
* 12 slices bacon, chopped
* 3 small onions, chopped fine
* 2 carrots, chopped fine
* 3 celery ribs, chopped fine
* 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 6 teaspoons all purpose flour
* 1 and 1/2 teaspoon paprika
* 16 ounces bottled clam juice
* 3 cups water
* 1 and 1/2 cup heavy cream
* 3 russet red skinned potatoes
* 1 pound firm white fish fillet such as halibut or cod, skin discarded, flesh cut into 1 inch pieces
*1/2 pound shrimp
* 1 6 oz can of oysters with juice
*1 10 oz can of lump crabmeat or lobster meat
* 4 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
To make the fish chowder:
In a heavy saucepan cook bacon over moderate heat, stirring, until crisp and transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Pour off fat and in pan cook onion, carrot, and celery in butter over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened.
Sprinkle flour over mixture and cook, stirring, 3 minutes. Stir in paprika and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add clam juice, water, and cream and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
While mixture is coming to a boil, peel potato and cut into 1/4 inch dice. Add potato to mixture and simmer chowder, uncovered, 12 minutes. Stir in fish and simmer until just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, bacon, and salt and pepper.