-->

Thursday, September 19, 2019

Lobster Fra Diavlo



So last weekend,  I hosted some besties for dinner.  We were celebrating two birthdays- Jeanine's and Laurel's.  We had such a great night catching up...laughing (lots) and eating of course.  I got inspired to whip up a Lobster Fra Diavlo.  It is essentially lobster and pasta in a spicy tomato sauce.

Last year, I had shared my Seafood Fra Diavlo HERE

This dish is daunting but I have to tell you, it came together easily and I enjoyed the process.  My tip?  Having your lobsters steamed right at the grocery store so all you have to do is crack them open and chop them once they come home- makes it easy peasy and oh so much less messy!


I doubled the recipe (because I wanted to be safe AND us Italians never think we have enough- it is in our blood)  This recipe serves 4.


Here is what you will need:

  • 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 (1 1/4-lb.) lobsters, cleaned, tails cut into 6 pieces, claws cracked open, bodies reserved for garnish
  • 2 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 tbsp. tomato paste
  • 1⁄2 cup cognac or brandy (I used brandy)
  • 1 cup seafood or fish stock
  • 1 (28-oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes in juice, crushed
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 lb. pasta, cooked (I used linguine)
  • 1 tbsp. chopped parsley


Here is how you put this beautiful dish together:


Crack open your lobsters and cut into smaller pieces (I only used the tails and claws and had plenty of meat!)

 To a pan, add olive oil, chile flakes, oregano, and garlic and cook until lightly toasted, about 3 minutes. 

Add tomato paste; cook until lightly caramelized, about 2 minutes. Add brandy; cook until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes. 

Add stock, tomatoes, and bay leaf; boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, partially covered, until thickened, about 30 minutes. 

Add Lobster and toss
 
Add pasta; toss with sauce. Transfer to a large serving platter; sprinkle with parsley. 

I also added pieces from a lobster body for garnish! 




0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...