-->

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

What's on YOUR Thanksgiving Menu?

What I think I am going to enjoy about our Thanksgiving Dinner so much this year (outside of quality time spent with my loved ones) is the fact that we are mixing some traditional dishes with some gourmet ones.  I was actually surprised when my Mom sounded kind of excited about some of my suggestions and offerings.  My gourmet contributions to the big dinner this year are: Butternut  Squash Souffle and Candied Corn (a Nealy recipe- woohoo).  Even more exciting?  My mom decided to try a new recipe or two so we will be partaking in our traditional bread stuffing along with a gourmet brioche one- cannot wait!

We are also starting with some fun appetizers (one of which I am making.  Thanks to Mel, we have another delicious dish that everyone liked at the DiPrima's last week , Warm Blue Cheese and Bacon Dip served with french bread and apples), salad with cranberries and goat cheese my mom's delicious pumpkin soup.

I am including the new recipes I am trying this year.  Are you trying anything new and exciting this Thanksgiving?

Thank goodness we are starting our day with the Turkey Trot in town...have to get that metabolism going! :)

Warm Blue Cheese and Bacon Dip 

Ingredients:
7 slices bacon, crumbled
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 c half & half (or whole milk)
4 oz blue cheese, crumbled
1 t garlic powder
2 T fresh green onions, chopped
3 T smoked almonds, chopped

Instructions:
Cook bacon in large skillet OR use the pre cooked bacon that you microwave
Once bacon is cooked, remove from pan & let cool.
Let it cool, then chop up the bacon.
In a bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth.
Add half & half (or milk) & mix.
Stir in crumbled bacon, blue cheese, garlic powder & green onions.

Stir until combined.
Transfer to a 2 cup oven proof serving dish.

Cover with foil & Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

After it has cooled, sprinkle with chopped almonds.

Serve with slices of apples and/or a sliced french bread




Butternut Squash Souffle ( I easily doubled this recipe!)

Ingredients:
2 c. squash, cooked
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 stick butter, melted
4 eggs, beaten
1 lg. can evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Instructions:
Peel squash, cut in small pieces and boil in small amount of water until tender. Drain and mash well; if lumpy, strain. Mix together squash, salt, sugar, butter and eggs; blend in milk and vanilla. Pour into buttered baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes or until firm.



Candied Corn
Ingredients:
  • 6 ears corn
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 3 tablespoons diced shallots, diced
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Instructions:
Cut the corn off of the cob. Put 1 tablespoon of butter in a saute pan on medium-high heat and cook the shallots until they are translucent with salt and pepper; about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the corn and cook until tender
In a bowl add brown sugar, honey and cayenne pepper. Mix well to combine and stir into corn mixture to cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly.


I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving!  Feel free to share your menus, recipes and traditions!

1 comments:

TheUnSoccerMom said...

oh my goodness!! I have GOT to try the bacon/bleu cheese dip!! A trip to wally world just may HAVE to happen TONIGHT! ;o)

I think it will be worth it.


I'm not doing anything exciting (unless I try that dip) but I am making something new to me. Pumpkin spice muffins. I found the recipe during the pintervention I participated in. super easy! here's the link: http://pinterest.com/pin/157133474468340972/

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...