-->

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Barefoot Contessa's Roasted Shrimp and Orzo

So....My mom's birthday is coming up!  I always love celebrating her.  This year, I asked her what she would like me to make.  I offered a fancy dinner, a sandwich bar, whateverShe had one request.  "The shrimp and orzo dish you make- that is one of my favorites."

 I was kind of surprised by her request- I didn't realize she liked it so much.  I knew Cass did because as soon as she tried it at my house once, she started making it all the time.

We all have Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa, to thank.

It is the perfect blend of flavors and the dish can be served warm or cold.  I love the crunch of the cucumbers and the bite of the onions.  Well the whole thing is pretty amazing and after my mom requested this, I couldn't believe that I hadn't shared this recipe with you yet.  So it is definitely time!


What you will need:

*Kosher Salt
*Good Olive Oil
*3/4 lb. of Orzo Pasta
*1/2 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
*Freshly ground black pepper
*2 lbs. of shrimp (peeled and deveined)
*1 cup of minced scallions (white and green parts)
*1 cup of chopped fresh dill
*1 cup of chopped fresh parsley
*1 hothouse cucumber chopped
*1/2 cup diced red onion
*3/4 lb. feta cheese diced


Instructions:
 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Fill a large pot with water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and a splash of oil, and bring the water to a boil. Add the orzo and simmer for 9 to 11 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it's cooked al dente. Drain and pour into a large bowl. 

Whisk together the lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Pour over the hot pasta and stir well.

Meanwhile, place the shrimp on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and spread out in a single layer. Roast for 5 to 6 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through. Don't overcook!

Add the shrimp to the orzo and then add the scallions, dill, parsley, cucumber, onion, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Toss well. Add the feta and stir carefully. 

Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend, or refrigerate overnight. If refrigerated, taste again for seasonings and bring back to room temperature before serving.

DELISH!

2 comments:

A Gal Named Al said...

Oh my boys will love this, and Trip will love that it's Barefoot Contessa. He loves to watch her show!

Tara Usher @ Mommy in a Nutshell said...

This looks amazing! I'll put in on my list for next week. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...