Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Autumn Splendor in New England
Leaves (the color of Trix for you mum)....treats for Diana and her pals....spooky movies...glowing candles...pumpkins...pumpkins...pumpkins...oh yeah and scary teeth!
Autumn Chicken and Squash Risotto
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut in bite-size pieces
1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
3 1/2 cups chicken stock
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil - divided use
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/4 cups arborio rice
3/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 pound hubbard squash, peeled and chopped
1 medium zucchini, chopped
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup dried cranberries
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Fresh rosemary sprigs
1. Soak porcini mushrooms for about 30 minutes in 1 cup hot water; drain and chop, reserving liquid.
2. In small saucepan, place chicken stock
and heat to simmer over medium heat; keep warm.
3. In large frypan, place 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat; add chicken and cook about 5 minutes on each side. Remove from heat; set aside.
4. In large saucepan, heat remaining oil over medium heat; add onion and garlic and saute about 5 minutes. Add rice; stir and cook 1 minute. Add wine, mushrooms, strained mushroom liquid, squash, zucchini and bay leaves. Stir and bring to a boil; cook until liquid is almost absorbed. Gradually add chicken stock as risotto thickens.
5. Add salt, pepper, chicken and cranberries, cooking about 10 minutes more or until rice is done. Stir in green onion and serve topped with grated Parmesan cheese and garnished with rosemary.
Makes 4 servings.
Halloween Chex Mix Recipe (A True Toddler Pleaser)
8 oz white chocolate baking bars, coarsely chopped
4 cups Corn Chex® or Rice Chex® cereal
2 cups bite-size pretzel twists
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup candy corn
1/4 cup Betty Crocker® orange and black candy decors
Fill little cellophane bags with this fun mix and tie with orange and black ribbons for Halloween party treats.
1. In large microwavable bowl, microwave chopped baking bars uncovered on High 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted and smooth.
2. Gently stir in cereal, pretzels and raisins until evenly coated. Stir in candy corn and decors.
3. Spread on waxed paper or foil until cooled and chocolate is set. Break into chunks. Store loosely covered.