-->

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Weekly Gratitude

For the time I got to spend with my Auntie Angie.  She passed away on September 11th.  My Dad's mom/my Nani Binda died when I was in 4th grade.  Her death hit me very hard.  From the moment she passed on, however, her sister, "Auntie Angie", stepped in to fill that void.  She was a wonderful person.  She was dealt a very tough deck- went through so much pain in her lifetime and still always made time for others.  Her husband died when they were in their 40's and she was left to raise two children all alone.  He was her true love-she never married again.  Her daughter, after losing weight and becoming "healthy" dropped dead in step aerobics class on the same day that her father had passed and at the same age- 42.  Horrific.  My Aunt carried on.  She raised her grandchildren after that and was always a support to all of us.  The moment that stands out above all for me though was when I walked into my wedding shower (for my first wedding)....I had hugged my mom and soon to be mother-in-law and then made my way to the back of the room where my bridesmaids were.  My Nani (my mom's mom) came up to hug me and congratulate me and then without missing a beat, Auntie called "Holly!" and she got up to hug me and to fill in for my Nani (my dad's mom)...I still well up every time I think about it...she truly looked at us like her grandkids and I will never forget it.  Her funeral is tomorrow and her granddaughter Deanna asked me to do a reading.  I was so touched and I guess I didn't realize I was that important to her.  I will tell you, however, I feel so important and loved at this very moment.  I am so so thankful to have had her as my aunt.

Although the rest of thanks this week will pale in comparison to Auntie, I must continue to give thanks for my everyday gifts.

I am thankful that I was able to complete a 5K and not any regular 5k- a torturous run, through a cross country trail of several hills, ditches, etc....it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do physically (outside of giving birth) and I am proud...so thankful for my running partners who also never left my side.

I am thankful for a successful football parents tailgating party.  Although the Boosters might put an end to our football fun, we had a blast and I am thankful we got to do it at least once.

I am thankful for my daughter's happiness while apple picking...I love watching her when she squeals with delight.

I am so thankful for feeling appreciated at work.  I am so thankful that I am able to work two days from home so I can raise my daughter and yet I am trusted to do my thing and run a business and the success is showing in the numbers.  I don't think I can ever explain how lucky I feel and how grateful I truly am.  I am busting at the seems with pride, happiness and gratitude.

1 comments:

TheUnSoccerMom said...

so many things to be thankful for. you are blessed! :o)

and my condolences to you and your family. (((HUGS)))

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...