Tuesday, May 11, 2010
Girls Night In....
and the awesome pix and a few recipes are included.....our featured ingredient of the night was strawberries....I am the luckiest girl in the world to have the bestest friends on earth xoxoxoxo
Grape Chutney (I served this with warm brie and toastettes)
Fresh chutney is a nice change from heavy commercial varieties. The grapes retain most of their shape in the thickened syrup.
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
* 1/2 cup dry red wine
* 1/4 cup chopped dried figs
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 2 teaspoons hot paprika
* 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
* 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
* 1 cup seedless green grapes, halved
* 1 cup seedless red grapes, halved
* 4 (4-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
* 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine first 8 ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil; cook 10 minutes. Stir in grapes; reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick.
White Strawberry Sangria (I added extra fruit like pineapple chunks and blueberries)
* 1 750-milliliter bottle dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc
* 1/2 cup strawberry schnapps
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
* Ice cubes
* Whole strawberries (optional)
1. In a 2-quart pitcher stir together wine, strawberry schnapps, and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add sliced strawberries. Cover and chill for 1 to 4 hours. Serve in glasses over ice. If desired, garnish with whole strawberries.
2. Makes 5 servings
Strawberry Salsa (I served this with white and blue corn tortilla chips)
1 English or seedless cucumber, finely chopped
1 thinly sliced green onion
1 Tbsp cilantro, cut into strips
3-4 Tbsp seasoned rice wine vinegar
2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and diced small
1 yellow pepper
Mix cucumbers, green onion, cilantro, vinegar, and pepper. Cover and chill at least one hour.
Just before serving, add strawberries.
We enjoyed these appetizers first and then dined on a light spring supper of strawberry and grilled chicken skewers, wild green and strawberry salad and coconut rice....delish!