-->

Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Book Club Dip (and the history of this special group)

So I have written a whole lot about PTA here in this little blog.  It has been a large part of my life for the better part of the last 15 years (off an on of course)

I originally joined our PTA to get involved in the schools for my stepkids.

Rob always jokes and tells the story of how I said, "I am going to a PTA meeting tonight.  They need help and they are looking for new board members or the organization risks dissolving."

He said a few hours later, I walked back in the house and when he asked me how it went, I said, "well I am the new President."


The rest?  History.


I spent three years as President from 2006-2009 and learned so so much.  My favorite part of PTA at that point was getting to know the teachers and the administration and getting a thorough understanding of how our school system worked.

I learned so much from some board members who had been around for a bit and together we helped to get our very own high school passed.  Those are times I will never forget.

It was challenging, however, to truly connect with the others moms on the board.  Why?  Why would a people person have so much trouble? I am not sure.  I always thought it went back to "only being a stepmom" and not "a real mom."  I think that had something to do with it but it was also so much more.  So many times I felt isolated and sad.  I thought that it would probably always be like this, even when I had my own kids.

Fast forward 8 years.  I was feeling the PTA pull again and thought I may raise my hand.  I did so with much reservation however.  Since then, having my own kids, I was able to make some great friends and build a village where I truly felt connected and I was worried that PTA may bring those negative feelings back.  Funny I know.  I met the Soon-To-Be-President Shannon at our town coffee shop, The Village Bean, and again, the rest was history.

We immediately clicked and I also could feel that this time would be different.  Though PTA was a wonderful learning experience the first time around and chalk full of great work, I missed the human connection.  I knew it would be different this time and it really has been.

I stepped into the role of Vice President two years ago and though I have learned even more and have participated in some great work, my favorite part, thus far, is the group I have connected with.  Honestly, I never thought I would be making a new group of friends at this stage in my life, especially via PTA, but I am not complaining.  It has been wonderful!

Well, in PTA, as in so many other things, people move on when their kids graduate, and the time comes to hang up the volunteer hat.  We all were dreading various departures.  Then we came up with a great idea to keep our special group together- form a book club!  


This way, we stay connected for years to come and we connect further over reading, which is a common passion.

We have already had our first three meetings this year and they get better and better.   


 The person who volunteers as hostess gets to pick the book.  We have then tweaked our process and have decided that the hostess provides the snacks and a drink and everyone brings a bottle of wine.  So, in addition, we are all eating well... hence my need to write this post.


Our last get together was at Laura's last week and we had a blast as usual.  All the snacks were yummy but her corn and avocado dip really jumped out at me.  I was not alone either!  Several of us asked for the recipe and she sent it out.  I have since made it twice- once on Sunday as an app when Ally came over and once this week to put over chicken and/or fish- it is that good!

I decided that I am dubbing it "Book Club Dip".  I will remember where it came from always and I now want to share it with you so you can make it and join in on the deliciousness.

So here it goes!



Ingredients
   
2 avocados, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
1 red onion, diced
1 can of shoepeg white corn
Juice of 2 limes

Garnish with salt, pepper, and cilantro.

Instructions

Chop and mix all together
Seriously?  Yes Seriously!  So easy!

You can serve with tortilla chips or again over your grilled meat, however, Laura served this with gluten free rice crackers that were so wonderful and I think really brought out the flavors of the dip.

It is, however, so good with anything!  So fresh...so healthy...so easy and most importantly....so yummy! 


Have fun making this "Book Club Dip" and maybe it will inspire you to form a club...to stay connected...and to ensure much deliciousness all year long!

5 comments:

Jaclyn Coffee, Pancakes & Dreams said...

This is such a great story! I have had mixed experiences with PTA too. But I have made some great friendships because of the group as well. It is also a lot of commitment, so I give you so much credit for being a President and then a VP!

Rechelle said...

YUM! That dip sounds SO good over chicken or fish! Adding it to our menu now ;)

Donna Reidland said...

I love anything with avocado and this sounds especially delicious!

Joanne said...

Thank you so much for sharing with us at Encouraging Hearts and Home. Pinned.

Slabs said...

This is scrumdiddlyumptious, I love these types of easy and quick treats. I will make this for myself as a main meal. Pinned it
I visited you via Encouraging Hearts and Home: Wreaths and Wall Hangings
I linked up this week with = 47+48. This is a friendly reminder and invitation to come and join us at SeniorSalonPitStop. You will find the linkup information under BLOGGING.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...