-->

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Acts of Kindness for Advent



It is hard to believe that the first week of Advent is already complete.
This is the first year, we will have our very own Advent Wreath....

Here it is :)

We are going to start the tradition of the Advent prayers as we light the wreath each evening.

The Meaning of the Advent Wreath: Obscure in origin, it is believed that the Advent Wreath may have had its beginning in the pagan fire wheel.  In Christian symbolism the wheel or wreath stands for eternity.  Its use is especially fitting during Advent, the season of the anticipation of the coming of our Lord.

To add to this ceremony, I am making a conscious effort to do good deeds and give to others during this Advent Season.  Every year, I practice traditions that bring joy to my family, friends and me, however, this year, I would like to take it a step further,  

I was most proud of being a "Layaway Angel" last year.  We paid off a layaway bill at KMart for a family who just couldn't pay off their bill to get coats and toys for their kids for Christmas.  I cried all the way home and felt so at peace.

I do other things every year that help me to give like make dinner for friends, make cookies and do surprise deliveries to people who have made a difference, and make sure we show our employees our appreciation through a holiday celebration and thoughtful little gifts and always make a conscious effort to do Christmas crafts and read Christmas stories to my daughter.

This year, during each week of advent, I will sacrifice for others and celebrate this goodness.

Advent: Week 1

Here is what I/we accomplished last week:


Participated in the giving tree at St. Matthew's and purchased clothing for a teenage girl


Made homemade cookies and brought them outside to our construction team


Adopted a family through The Salvation Army and purchased clothing, toys, gift cards and groceries for a family of four in need


Brought coffee and doughnuts to our construction team


 
On to week 2....

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...