-->

Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Easter Prep 2020

Yes!  This is Holy Week- my favorite week in church all year and this means that Easter is coming.


Sure everything looks different right now but one thing is certain- Jesus will be raised- Easter will happen and we will celebrate.

I even got to enjoy Palm Sunday mass...virtually of course


The Big Bunny is still coming too....we actually got to see him on Saturday...he was standing outside of our high school and we drove up to say hello and Happy Easter :)  Eva was very excited (bless my heart)

 (We threw a fun Easter balloon on the car and lived it up) ;)




If you have been reading for awhile than you know I love traditions.  

Each year, we host a neighborhood Easter Egg Hunt...it is one of my favorite Easter traditions...this year, we had to cancel the event for obvious reasons, but we are getting creative for our girls.

Sunday night, we put together a surprise "Glow-Egg Hunt" for them and they had a blast!





The Easter Bunny will still come next weekend and they will have their traditional Easter Egg Hunt too. 

My favorite thing about Holy Week has been attending the Living Stations of the Cross at our Church on Holy Friday Evening.  It always takes place outside on the grounds of a historical castle in town.  Various parishioners act out Jesus' passion and crucifixion- it is so very moving.  



I am most disappointed that this won't be taking place this year.  We are going to our church that night and doing our own stations of the cross instead.  I am grateful that our church has remained open for private prayer and I have been several times- I am usually alone and it is peaceful and sad all at the same time.

In addition to that, the girls and I will be making resurrection rolls and reading the explanation and we will also be making some fun Easter themed Rice Krispie Treats with Cadbury Mini Eggs.

This coming Saturday, Holy Saturday, we do our Easter Baking and Egg Coloring with Mimi and we will still be doing that...we just might be sitting a little further apart :)  We make Bunny Breads, Birds Nest Cookies and color the eggs- it is so much fun!



I also make us a fun lunch and it usually includes something Easter/Spring themed



Easter Sunday, I typically host our entire family but given the times, we are keeping it small and only having my parents and brother and Rob's Dad.  We will watch mass online and then have our traditional brunch/dinner.....we will celebrate a little differently but be grateful that we have each other and we are healthy and safe.


Here is what our Easter Menu looks like this year:

Spring Charcuterie Board
Italian Pastera (Homemade by Mimi!)

Mimosas and Elder Flower Cocktails




Asparagus with Farfalle 
Scalloped Potatoes (Homemade by Papa Bob!)
Bunny Breads
Strawberry Spinach Salad

Ricotta Pie (Mimi's Easter Specialty)
Birds Nest Cookies
Easter Rice Krispie Treats


Thank you for letting me share a little joy...I look forward to next year when we can enjoy our traditions again...the way we prefer to but for now...this is how it will all look like here...how will you be celebrating this year?

9 comments:

Rechelle said...

Love the creativity to still make things happen despite the circumstances this year!

Melissa Friscia said...

Hi! I read your blog daily, I have alot of respect for you as a working mom with adult stepchildren. I few years ago I even asked you for your advice on that.
But, reading todays post that you are going against the advice that NOBODY should be having family gatherings for Easter. My husbands grandchildren will get the baskets left by the front door.
I cant believe you are putting your whole family at risk? And, did'nt your father-in-law just have a health scare? Just so you can eat together?
Very dissapointing.
Melissa

Holly Breton said...

I am sorry I am disappointing you Melissa- I know it is a sensitive subject and I hate that I am letting you down but it is our family decision. I know I choose to live out loud and sometimes that includes getting criticism but my family and I are clinging to each other during these uncertain times and we are following all of the rules and guidelines. Wish you a Happy Easter XO

Sunshine and Books said...

I love how you're modifying your Easter traditions to make them work and keep it special this year. It is so hard, but next year is going to feel so lovely when we are back to normal! Have a great day and a blessed Easter Holly!!

Diane said...

We are under strict shelter in place orders in Texas so no family gatherings for us. But we will lift all those prayer those have lost loved ones during this pandemic and have a big celebration when it is over. #shelterinplace #stayhomesavelives

My Glittery Heart said...

Love that you are still making Easter special in these crazy times. Happy Easter to you and your family!

Good Better Best Food said...

I love your drive by Easter Bunny! I typically host Easter but since I won't be this year we ordered dinner from a local restaurant to support them and so I don't have to make a big old ham for three people.

Joining you in beautiful prayer this week sweet friend.
Patty
GoodBetterBestFood.blogspot.com

Joanne said...

Oh wow that salmon looks amazing!! What a fun glow hunt. My boys just outgrew egg hunts last year and while it was sad, I know it was time.

Jaclyn Coffee, Pancakes & Dreams said...

Happy Easter Holly! It sure is different this year but it sounds like you are still making it so special for your family. The glow in the dark hunt sounds so fun!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...