Autumn Chicken and Squash Risotto
I am re-posting this as it is almost time for Cass and my "Risotto Night"..it will be easier if I can just pin this recipe and by re-posting this by itself, I will be able to pull it more quickly! You should try it- it is an annual tradition and the dish encompasses the best flavors of fall- chicken...squash....dried cranberries...delish!
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut in bite-size pieces
1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
3 1/2 cups chicken stock
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil - divided use
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/4 cups arborio rice
3/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 pound hubbard squash, peeled and chopped
1 medium zucchini, chopped
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup dried cranberries
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Fresh rosemary sprigs
1. Soak porcini mushrooms for about 30 minutes in 1 cup hot water; drain and chop, reserving liquid.
2. In small saucepan, place chicken stock
and heat to simmer over medium heat; keep warm.
3. In large frypan, place 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat; add chicken and cook about 5 minutes on each side. Remove from heat; set aside.
4. In large saucepan, heat remaining oil over medium heat; add onion and garlic and saute about 5 minutes. Add rice; stir and cook 1 minute. Add wine, mushrooms, strained mushroom liquid, squash, zucchini and bay leaves. Stir and bring to a boil; cook until liquid is almost absorbed. Gradually add chicken stock as risotto thickens.
5. Add salt, pepper, chicken and cranberries, cooking about 10 minutes more or until rice is done. Stir in green onion and serve topped with grated Parmesan cheese and garnished with rosemary.
Makes 4 servings.